Thursday, January 23, 2014

First things first

So, what exactly will I be doing?


Activity% of Timeavg. hrs per weekavg. hrs per day
Practicing Sax35%19.62.8
Transcribing14%7.841.12
Practicing Piano10%5.60.8
Listening9%5.040.72
Blogging (and interviews)9%5.040.72
Composing7%3.920.56
Jams/Gigs5%2.80.4
Rehearsals5%2.80.4
Reading/Research4%2.240.32
Networking2%1.120.16
TOTALS100%568

One of the common recommendations from mentors and friends was "don't try to do too much." I took that to mean that I should really focus on a few priorities. Six months goes by in a blink and I shouldn't stretch myself too thin. 8-10 hours per day is what I've been spending on a job I didn't really love - so I'll reallocate that time to my passion and see what happens. I know my regiment will evolve, but I'll use this as a starting point and tweak it as I go.

Practicing Sax:
I want to "level up" on my ability to communicate on my instrument. Thousands of hours are needed to break down the barrier between what you hear in your head and what play on your instrument. I'll also be taking lessons (and posting about them) from several differnet players in town.

Transcribing:
It's been described to me as one of the most important activities in a life of musical growth. So I'll be internalizing and writing down as much as I can. My goal is to transcribe a little every day, and at least one song per month.

The rest on the list is pretty obvious. I'll be spending a few hours each week working on this blog and doing informational interviews. Talking with friends, family, and strangers whom have made music their livelihood. I'll be interviewing some well-known musical talents and Entrepreneurs so check back when you feel the urge.

I want to learn. And I want to learn from YOU. So let me what you think about my plan and how you might approach a similar challenge. Feel free to comment below or send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment