As an introduction to the official "Neal's 23 Axioms" I've aggregated a pre-list list. A collection of Grandstaff's sayings and philosophies worth sharing with the interwebs. I call them Nealisms:
- A musicians life depends on every note.
- Stop communicating with the page. Communicate with each other.
- Music is common everywhere. If you find yourself not liking a certain type, just find the groove!
- Life is a shit sandwich; the more bread you got, the less shit you have to eat.
- There’s no romance without finance.
- Be as hip as you can be within the audiences context. Then, you won’t be too hip for the room.
- What you should consider when you play:
- Harmonic rhythm
- Where you are in the tune
- Why are you paying what you’re playing
- There’s no such thing as a “bad” tune, just poor execution.
- (My personal favorite) After saying something pointed or controversial toward the administration or other incarnations of “the man” Neal would often quip,
- “Remember, I never said that. But, I meant it.”
UPDATE: Some of you might be wondering who Neal Grandstaff is. Arguably, the best way to learn about a musician is to listen to their music. Here's Neal's most recent album. Get it while it's hot: